Step 3: Install Lugs & Dropouts
2 steps, ~45 minutes
Goal: Mount the bearing surfaces tightly on your jig.
Materials: • Metal Head Tube • Head Lug • Bottom Lug • JB Kwik (blue and orange tubes) • 2 Mixing Sticks • Vaseline • 2 Adjustable Wrenches • Rounded File • Gloves
3.1 Install Lugs and Dropouts | Prep Head Tube & Install Dropouts
3.2 Install Head Tube & Bottom Lugs
• Put on rubber gloves.
• Using a 1:1 ratio of JB Kwik Epoxy to Hardener, squeeze two quarters’ worth from the orange tube and two quarters’ worth from the blue tube onto a piece of cardboard. JB Kwik is ostensibly non-toxic, but it is very difficult to remove from fingers once it dries.
• Mix with the mixing stick until uniform color. Once mixed, you have 4 minutes to work with JB Kwik before it hardens.
• Apply a thick smear of the mixed JB Kwik to the inside of the Head Lug.
• Position the Head Lug so that the flat face points towards the back of the bike.
• Press the Head Lug around the Head Tube and wait 10-15 minutes while the epoxy hardens.
• Apply a thick smear of the mixed JB Kwik to the inside of the Bottom Lug.
• Position the Bottom Lug so that the skinny end of the Lug is facing towards the back of the bike. The two wide flat faces of the Lug will face up towards the Seat Tube Dowel, as well as the Head Lug.
• Press the Bottom Lug around the Bottom Bracket shell and wait 10-15 minutes while the epoxy hardens.